Saturday, October 11, 2008

Mary Elizabeth's birthday party





I am a little heartbroken. My baby had a bad party for the most part. We ivited several children from church and a few from family and outside friends. Her party was scheduled for 2 PM today. At 2PM the only people here were us and Grandmama. Yes you read right no one else. About 2:10 PM my friends Tammy and her daughter Lamana drove up andthen soon after Pop drove up. And yes that was all that showed up. No one from my family at all and none of the other children showed at all. You could see the disappointment all over her face. Everytime the front door would open she would come running to see who it was and her face would sot of drop everytime it was one of us. We waited til about 3 and then cut the cake. Lamana, Christopher and Mary Elizabeth all played together all afternoon until about 7:15 when Lamana had to go home. When we put her to bed tonight she sadly asked "why did no one come?" Barry just told her that sometimes people can't make it. And she asked about a few people and we only had an answer for 3. The rest we have no idea. It broke my heart and as I type I am trying not to cry for her. I hope that her actual birthday is not this disappointing for her. We have never had this happen before. I hope it never does again and are really considering not having a party next year and just doing something special as a family. Barry and I don't want her to feel like she did today again, but I know she will over something in the future. I feel like I have let her down and it hurts. I have asked myself if I had invited more children maybe someone else would have shown up, but you cannot go back and change things. When it is your child that says things like that to you with that look, it hurts you. I am glad I have this as a way to get it out before she sees my disappointment. So maybe we can all forget about it and have a much better day tomorrow. If you see her please make her feel better and wish her a happy birthday or give her a card. She loves to get cards. That will make her feel better I'm sure. Just don't mention her party at all. Her birthday is Tuesday and I think we are going to do something special before we come to church for the meeting.

Hope all had a much better day than I. As for the day it was good other than the party. Have a great rest of the weekend.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Oh no! I am so sorry Christy. So, so sorry.

You betcha, I'll have her smiling tonight about her birthday. :)

Anonymous said...

Christy I am soooo sorry! I know that had to be dissapointing. We all love her and yall's family so much!!!!!

Jennifer said...

I can understand why you wouldn't be inviting 4 year olds to her party, but if Peyton were older she would have been there! We love all four of you very much. Please let me know if there's ever anything we can do!